Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sabbath

Today is a non-work day for me. I am not on call and I do not have to make rounds. What I do have to make is good use of this time. When I return to work tomorrow at 7 am (07:00) I will either be on-call or rounding for the next 9 days. Then I will have only one 24 hour period totally off before another set of "every others."

Every other day on call is a bit misleading, as it is rare to get out of the hospital after just 24 hours of call. There will still be rounds, seeing all the patients who are admitted to me and one or at times two of the other hospitalist, paperwork, and occasionally a meeting before I can leave for home. Greeting me at home are all the things not done in the last 24 hours. Yes, I sleep, but not enough for two days. In preparation for this stretch of work I will do laundry, buy food, clean house, and rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment